Margaret Jordan, the youngest daughter of William Jordan and Blanche Fullerton, was born October 5, 1814 in Cabell County, (West) Virginia, and died on October 30, 1898 in Hickory County, Missouri. She married Dr. William Coon, son of George Washington Coon and Mary Burket North, in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, on September 30, 1834.
The Coons lived for a while in Jasper County, Indiana, where William briefly served as a Representative in the Indiana State Legislature. They moved to Missouri around 1847 and from there to California in 1854. After returning to Missouri on the eve of the Civil War, Dr. Coon joined the Union army and served as a surgeon during that conflict.
William Coon was born on November 10, 1809, in Pickaway County, Ohio, and died on November 7, 1898 in Hickory County, Missouri [Obituary]. Margaret and William are both buried in Sapp Cemetery, Hickory County, Missouri.
Margaret is found in the censuses of 1850-PolkMO, 1860-HickoryMO, 1870-HickoryMO, and 1880-HickoryMO. She is possibly in the 1820-CabellVA census in the household of William Jordan and probably in the census of 1840-JasperIN in the household of William Coon.
Children of Margaret Jordan and William Coon
1. Marinda Coon was born on February 29, 1836 in Indiana and died on July 20, 1863 in Hickory County, Missouri. She married William Albert Pitts on March 13, 1853. William was born on June 4, 1833 in Kentucky; died on September 19, 1880 in Hickory County, Missouri. Both Marinda and William are buried in Sapp Cemetery, Hickory County, Missouri.
Children of Marinda Coon and William Albert Pitts
1.1. Adelphia Pitts (1856-1938)
1.2. Robert Virgil Pitts (1858-1900)
1.3 Mary Ellen Pitts (1860-1940)
1.4 Henrietta Pitts (1862-1943)
2. Dr. Lycurgus Coon was born on January 4, 1838 in Indiana and died on August 6, 1910 in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri. He married Nancy Elizabeth Pitts on September 10, 1871. Nancy was born on January 17, 1853 in Hickory County, Missouri, and died on February 13, 1938 in Springfield, Greene County, Missouri. Both Lycurgus and Nancy are buried in Hazelwood Cemetery, Greene County, Missouri.
Children of Lycurgus Coon and Nancy Elizabeth Pitts
2.1. Rintha Coon (1872-1913)
2.2. Charles Benton Coon (1883-1941)
3. Evelyn Coon was born on September 4, 1841 in Jasper County, Indiana, and died on February 28, 1936 in Mesquite, Dallas County, Texas. She married Tipton Thompson on March 28, 1858 in Hillsburg, Sonoma County, California. Tipton was born on September 22, 1833 in Logansport, Cass County, Indiana, and died on April 10, 1908 in Garland, Texas. Both Evelyn and Tipton are buried in Mills Cemetery, Dallas County, Texas.
Children of Evelyn Coon and Tipton Thompson
3.1. Lilly Frances Thompson (1860-1947)
3.2. Clara Thompson (1863-1864)
3.3. Margaret Ellen Thompson (1865-1953)
3.4. Maud Thompson (1866-1931)
3.5. Mary Thompson (1869-1949)
3.6. William Albert Thompson (1872-1947)
4. Virgil Coon was born on April 20, 1844 in Jasper County, Indiana, and probably died before 1850.
5. Ellen Coon was born on November 6, 1846 in Jasper County, Indiana, and died on August 17, 1936 in Elkton, Hickory County, Missouri. She is buried in McCracken Cemetery, Hickory County, Missouri. Ellen married Elijah Williams on October 22, 1863. Elijah born circa 1840.
Children of Ellen Coon and Elijah Williams
5.1. Samuel L. Williams (1868-1904)
5.2. Margaret Williams (1870-1956)
5.3. Tipton Williams (1873-1944)
5.4. Jordan W. Williams (1879-1951)
5.5. Corda Belle Williams (1885-1961)
5.6. Nell Williams (1887-?)
6. Virginia Coon was born on December 3, 1847 in Missouri and died January 7, 1934 in Tyler Township, Hickory County, Missouri. She married Thomas A. McCracken. Thomas was born on February 15, 1841 and died January 26, 1924. Both Virginia and Thomas are buried in Sapp Cemetery, Hickory County, Missouri.
Children of Virginia Coon and Thomas A. McCracken
6.1. Miranda V. McCracken (1874-1941)
6.2. Bessy McCracken (1884-1884)
6.3. Lester J. McCracken (1886-1947)
6.4. Cody C. McCracken (1891-1948)
7. Jasper Coon was born on April 20, 1851 in Polk County, Missouri, and died on April 10, 1932 in Elkton, Hickory County, Missouri. He married Malinda Catherine Pope, daughter of John and Sarah Pope. Malinda was born on April 1, 1851 in Kentucky and died on March 9, 1917 in Tyler Township, Hickory County, Missouri. Both Jasper and Malinda are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Polk County, Missouri.
Children of Jasper Coon and Malinda Catherine Pope
7.1. Zona Coon (1872-1884)
7.2. Rozetta Coon (1874-1875)
7.3. Evie Coon (c1876-?)
7.4. Yonna Coon (c1878-?)
7.5. Lotta Coon (1886-?)
8. William Franklin Coon was born on February 26, 1854 in Elkton, Hickory County, Missouri, and died on March 17, 1918 in Hickory County, Missouri. He married Matilda Jane Lindsey in Missouri. Matilda was born in May 26, 1860 in Missouri and died on May 18, 1936 in Hickory County, Missouri. Both William and Matilda are buried in Hermitage Cemetery, Hickory County, Missouri.
Children of William Franklin Coon and Matilda Jane Lindsey
8.1. Bernard L. Coon (1879-1933)
8.2. Roscoe “Ross” Coon (1881-1955)
8.3. Sherman Coon (1884-?)
8.4. Perry Coon (1887-1945)
8.5. Ray Coon (1883-?)
8.6. Elmer D. Coon (1893-1926)
8.7. Mary Coon (1896-1961)
9. Dr. James Monroe Coon was born on October 5, 1855 in Missouri and died on September 27, 1918 in McLain, Muskogee County, Oklahoma. He married Isabelle Summers Marsh on June 5, 1878 in Polk County, Missouri. Isabelle was born circa 1855 and died January 26, 1935. Both James and Isabelle are buried in McLain Cemetery, Muskogee County, Oklahoma.
Children of James Monroe Coon and Isabelle Summers Marsh
9.1. Claude Coon (1879-1962)
9.2. Bessy Coon (1884-?)
9.3. Bonnie Coon (1892-1954)